Pages

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Anza-Borrego Desert : Kumeyaay Indian Pictographs + Village

I visited the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park in southernmost California last weekend, Jan. 17, after giving a desert literature lecture at the Anza-Borrego Desert Natural History Association the evening before - located in the town of Borrego Springs, California. I enjoyed a warm January daytime visit to Blair Valley, an amazing area in the park that I discovered last March. The following pictures are from that trip, but last Saturday, I visited again...


There's me, being a little cheeky with one of many mortreros! I was amazed to disover numerous more mortreros recently than I did a year ago, at this Kumeyaay Indian village site.
My friend P., standing tall next to an amazing outcrop with a living room to one side...at a Kumeyaay Indian village site, not far from that motrero...


A view of the part of the village site - it's situated in a pass. I would love to camp here.
These pictographs are located near the village site, one canyon over, and also in a "pass" region that follows an ancient footpath. This is one of the most powerful, amazing areas I have ever visited in the California desert. I also found much more detail in the nearby pictograph - colored rock wall art - this time with a background of yellow added to the stark ochre/red drawings.

No comments:

Post a Comment